PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

2010 PHI Pinot Noir (Lusatia Park, Yarra Valley)

When I visited the Yarra Valley in 2010, every winemaker I talked to was buzzing about the vintage that had not long finished, and that quality appeared evident from the barrel samples I tried. I came away thinking that I should go long on Yarra Valley wines from 2010 once the wines were released. In particular that trip convinced me of the quality of upper Yarra Pinot Noir. The pinot noir grown in this subregion are upper echelon in the Australian pinot hierarchy. The three wineries in particular that I love from this subregion are Hoddles Creek, Gembrook Hill, and PHI. From the 2010 vintage I’ve now bought for my cellar the Hoddles Creek Estate, Hoddles Creek 1er, Gembrook Hill, and PHI. Having tasted them now, I’m as convinced of them as I was in barrel, and I reckon they will age a treat.

This 2010 PHI Pinot Noir is everything I want from a Pinot. Initially seductive, beautifully structured, and ultimately savoury, this is a beautiful Pinot Noir. I tasted it over 3 days and it didn’t let up. It presents a refined line of beautiful flavour and finishes with terrific length. Pitch perfect in balancing generosity and elegance, it’s approachable now, but will build even greater complexity over the next 5-10 years. I think this will equal and in time possibly surpass the superb 2006 PHI. 4.5 Stars.

Rated:


RRP: $55
ABV:13.0%
Closure: Screwcap
Website: http://www.phiwines.com/

2006 Review - http://tinyurl.com/2bboowo
2008 Review - http://tinyurl.com/78dbqju


Red

No comments:

 
Blog Design by: Designer Blogs